When Do I Need New York Highway Use Tax (HUT)

1 min. readlast update: 03.29.2024

Highway use tax (HUT) is required in New York state for vehicles with a gross weight exceeding 18,000 pounds. This would also apply to unloaded vehicles weighing more than 8,000 pounds and unloaded tractors weighing over 4,000 pounds. Any vehicle matching these criteria that will be traveling or hauling product over New York public highways will be expected to register with HUT and pay the applicable taxes based on the vehicle’s weight. 



Was this article helpful?